Páidi Ó Sé

Páidi Ó Sé was a giant of a man, not in stature, but a giant on the field of play and the field of life. I have had the pleasure of downing a few pints of Guinness with him on several occasions. My father was born up the road from Ventry in Monaree. We met him in Birmingham for a Kerry Association dinner dance and several times in Páidi`s bar.

The true essence of Páidi Ó Sé was that he meant so much to so many in many, many different ways. He made his name on the GAA fields of Kerry and in Croke Park but his story transcended his heroic deeds with the pigskin.

He was the rogue with the smile who rubbed shoulders with film stars, television personalities and many leaders of this country. He was a man that you would want in your corner. PáidI was the player who could play anywhere and usually did. His claim to fame: conceding just one point from play in All-Ireland finals sums him up.

“A mhuintir Ciarral agus a chairde go ldir.” Páidi 0 Se’s now iconic speech after the 1985 All-Ireland win over Dublin still fills Kerry hearts with pride. Here was the man from Ard a’ Bhóthajr bursting with passion on the steps of the Hogan Stand, his life’s dream now a reality. The pride was etched on the face of our warrior in green and gold.

He loved his players and they repaid him on the field of play. For many, some of the best Gaelic football played on this island was in 2002. The All-Ireland wasn’t won by Kerry that year but the football will be long remembered.

That was Pâidl’s team, Páidi’s football. Above all though he was a son of An Gaeltacht. His grá for his home-land propelled him on and off the field. With the fame he garnered on the field he set about the task of getting as many people as possible to visit his home place.

Páidi Ó Sé was born in the village of Ventry in the heart of the Gaeltacht in County Kerry in 1955. He was the second of three boys, with an older brother Mícheál and younger brother Tom.

A native Irish speaker, he was educated locally at Cill Mhic a' Domhnaigh National School. He later attended Dingle CBS, St Brendan`s College in Killarney (from which he was expelled), before completing his Leaving Certificate (which he failed) at St. Michael`s College in Listowel.

While receiving his secondary school education, Ó Sé's interest in Gaelic football was nurtured. During his secondary schooling, he won four consecutive Kerry senior colleges' titles from 1971 until 1974. Ó Sé won back-to-back Corn Ui Mhuiri (Munster Championships) titles in 1972 and 1973 with St. Brendan's, before adding a Munster 'B' colleges' title to his collection in 1974 with St. Michael's.

He subsequently trained to be a Garda Siochana and was based in Limerick for four years. He also played rugby for Young Munster for one year.

Ó Sé married his wife Máire, a schoolteacher, in 1984 and together they have three children - Neasa, Siún and Pádraig Óg. Ó Sé has three nephews that have also played for Kerry; Darragh, Tomas and Marc O Se.

Ó Sé first played for Kerry as a member of the county's minor football team. He enjoyed little success in this grade, before later joining the Kerry under-21 football team.

After missing Kerry's Munster final triumph in 1973, Ó Sé was a key addition to the team for the subsequent All-Ireland final. Mayo provided the opposition on that occasion; however, Kerry recorded a 2-13 to 0-13 victory. The win gave Ó Sé a coveted All-Ireland medal.

In 1975, Ó Sé captured a Munster medal following a nine-point trouncing of Waterford. Ó Sé's side later qualified for the All-Ireland final with Dublin providing the opposition. A 1-15 to 0-10 score line gave Kerry the victory and gave Ó Sé a second All-Ireland medal.

In 1976, Ó Sé added a second Munster medal to his collection as Kerry retained their provincial crown at the expense of Cork. He later lined out in a third All-Ireland final. Kildare provided the opposition on that occasion; however, they were no match for Kerry. Ó Sé collected a third All-Ireland medal following a 0-14 to 1-3 trouncing.

Paudi made his first senior appearance for Kerry in a National League game against Galway in 1974. It was a successful campaign as Kerry subsequently reached the final against Roscommon. A drawn game was followed by 0-14 to 0-8 victory for Kerry. It was Ó Sé's first National League medal. He later made his championship debut against Waterford.

In 1975, a new-look Kerry team was formed under the management of former player MickO`Dwyer. It was the beginning of a glorious era for Kerry football and Ó Sé played a key role in orchestrating much of the success for the team that would come to be regarded as the greatest of all-time. That year he won his first Munster medal, dethroning Cork as provincial champions in the process. Ó Sé later lined out in his first senior All-Ireland final.

Reigning champions Dublin provided the opposition and were installed as the red-hot favorites over the youngest Kerry team of all-time. On a rain-soaked day John Egan and substitute Ger O`Driscoll scored two goals and the Dubs were ambushed by 2-12 to 0-11. It was Ó Sé's first All-Ireland medal at senior level. Ó Sé later said, "To this day, winning that All-Ireland medal is my greatest thrill. The oldest person on the team was Brendan Lynch and he was only 25. Nobody gave us a chance: we were just a team of 15 bachelors from Kerry up for the day".

Ó Sé captured his second Munster medal in 1976 before later lining out in his second All-Ireland final. Once again it was Dublin who provided the opposition. Both sides were hoping for success; however, new player Kevin Moran was causing havoc with the Kerry defense. Jimmy Keaveney converted a penalty to help Dublin to a 3-8 to 0-10 victory and defeat for Ó Sé.

1977 proved to be another frustrating year. The year began with Ó Sé capturing a second National League medal and a third consecutive Munster medal following another win over Cork. Kerry later took on Dublin for the third consecutive year; however, this time it was in the All-Ireland semi-final. In one of the greatest games of football ever-played, the Dubs triumphed and Ó Sé was still left waiting for a second All-Ireland medal.

In 1978, Kerry once again faced little competition in the Provincial Championship. A 3-14 to 3-7 defeat of Cork gave Ó Sé a fourth Munster medal in-a-row. Kerry later qualified for a third All-Ireland final in four years. Old rivals Dublin provided the opposition; however, the game turned into a rout. The game is chiefly remembered for Mikey Sheehy`s sensational goal. The Kerry forward lobbed over the ball over the head of Paddy Cullen, who was caught off his line arguing with the referee. New full-forward Eoin Liston scored a hat-trick of goals. Pat Spillane played all over the field, including goalkeeper after Charlie Nelligan was sent off. At the full-time whistle Kerry were the winners by 5-11 to 0-9.

Kerry made it five-in-a-row in Munster in 1979 as Cork fell by ten points in the provincial final. Ó Sé later went in search of a third All-Ireland medal as he lined out in a fourth All-Ireland championship decider. Dublin provided the opposition for the fifth consecutive occasion. Kerry were handicapped throughout the game. Ger Power did not start the game, while John O`Keeffe got injured and Ó Sé was sent off during the encounter. Two goals by Mikey Sheehy and a third by John Egan helped the Kingdom to a 3-13 to 1-8 victory. It was Ó Sé's third All-Ireland medal.

Kerry's dominance continued in 1980. Another defeat of Cork in the provincial final gave Ó Sé a sixth successive Munster medal. Another All-Ireland final appearance beckoned, this time with Roscommon providing the opposition. The Connacht champions shocked Kerry and took a five-point lead inside the first twelve minutes. Mikey Sheehy popped up again to score the decisive goal, as Kerry went on to claim a 1-9 to 1-6 victory in a game that contained sixty-four frees. The victory gave Kerry a third All-Ireland title in succession, while Ó Sé added a fourth All-Ireland medal to his ever-growing collection.

In 1981, Ó Sé won his seventh consecutive Munster title, before lining out in the All-Ireland final against Offaly. Kerry had an easy win with seven players combining for a great goal. He captured his fifth All-Ireland medal that day as Kerry won by 1-12 to 0-8.

Ó Sé won his third National League medal in 1982 before Kerry secured an eighth consecutive Munster final victory over Cork. The All-Ireland final pitted the Kingdom against Offaly for the second year in-a-row. Kerry had the upper hand for much of the game and were leading by two points with two minutes left to be played. The game, however, was not over as Offaly substitute Seamus Darby, who had entered the game almost unnoticed, produced the most spectacular of finishes by scoring a late goal. Kerry failed to score again to level the match and Offaly went on to win their third All-Ireland title ever on a score line of 1-15 to 0-17.

Kerry missed out on an historic nine-in-a-row in Munster in 1983, as Cork finally triumphed after so many defeats. The Kingdom bounced back the following year with Ó Sé winning his fourth National League medal and his ninth Munster medal. The centenary-year All-Ireland final pitted Kerry against old rivals and reigning champions Dublin. Kerry dominated the game from start to finish. Only two Dublin forwards scored as Kerry ran out easy winners by 0-14 to 1-6. It was Ó Sé's sixth All-Ireland winners' medal.

In 1985, Ó Sé was appointed captain of the Kerry team. A two-goal victory over Cork gave Ó Sé a remarkable tenth Munster medal. Another All-Ireland final beckoned, with Dublin providing the opposition for a second consecutive year. Jack O`Shea scored a key goal after eleven minutes and Kerry stormed to a nine-point lead at half-time. The Dubs came storming back with Joe Mcnally scoring two goals. The gap could not be bridged and Kerry won by 2-12 to 2-8. The victory gave Ó Sé a record-equalling seventh All-Ireland medal, while he also had the honour of lifting the Sam Maguire Cup.

In 1986, Kerry's dominance showed no sign of disappearing. Cork fell again in the provincial final, giving Ó Sé an eleventh Munster medal. A tenth All-Ireland final appearance quickly followed and it turned out to be an historic occasion. Tyrone provided the opposition in their first-ever championship decider. A Peter Quinn goal gave the Ulster men a six-point lead in the second-half; however, the game was far from over. Pat Spillane ran fifty yards up the field for a hand-passed goal to get Kerry back on track. Mikey Sheehy scored a second goal to give the Kingdom a 2-15 to 1-10 victory. It was a record-breaking eighth All-Ireland medal for Ó Sé. Remarkably he only conceded one point to his opponent in his ten All-Ireland final appearances.

The glory days were now over for Kerry as Cork captured the Munster title in 1987. Following Kerry's 1988 Championship exit, Mick O'Dwyer dropped Ó Sé from the inter-county team. They did not speak for three years.

In late 1995, Ó Sé returned to the limelight when he was appointed manager of the Kerry senior football team. The task ahead was enormous as Kerry had fallen down the pecking order in terms of championship aspirations. The county hadn't won an All-Ireland title since Ó Sé was a player almost a decade earlier in 1986. Kerry's last Munster title came in 1991; however, since then near rivals Cork had dominated the provincial series. In Ó Sé's first Munster campaign in 1996 Kerry reached the final. Cork, a team looking for an eighth title in ten years, provided the opposition, however, Ó Sé's touch worked the oracle as the Kingdom won by 0-14 to 0-11. It was a sign that Kerry were on the way back; however, a defeat by Mayo in the subsequent All-Ireland semi-final highlighted the fact that the team was lacking in some quarters.

In 1997, Ó Sé's Kerry announced their arrival when they captured the National League title at the start of the year. A second Munster title soon followed after a demolition of Clare in the provincial decider. Kerry subsequently qualified for the All-Ireland final, with Mayo providing the opposition. The game saw both sides share periods of dominance. Kerry's Maurice Fitzgerald scored nine of his team's points while Mayo scored 1-2 in a two-minute spell. The Connacht champions failed to score in the last twenty minutes as Kerry held on to win by 0-13 to 1-7. The win was all the more significant for Ó Sé as he became one of the few people who captained and managed his county to an All-Ireland title.

1998 saw Ó Sé's Kerry team make it three Munster titles in a row. But, his side was later defeated by Mick O'Dwyer's Kildare in the All-Ireland semi-final.

After losing their provincial title in 1999, Kerry were back in 2000, securing a fourth Munster title in five campaigns. Kerry later defeated Armagh, after a draw and a replay which featured extra-time, to set up an All-Ireland final meeting with Galway. That game saw Ó Sé's side take a seven-point lead; however, Galway fought back to force a 0-14 apiece draw and a replay. A disputed free gave Kerry the lead with seventeen minutes left and Ó Sé's side eventually held on to win by 0-17 to 1-10.

At this point it looked as if Ó Sé's side would dominate football for the foreseeable future. In 2001 he guided Kerry to another Munster title and it looked as if a second consecutive All-Ireland title was on the cards. The subsequent All-Ireland semi-final proved to be a reality check as Meath trounced the Kingdom by 2-14 to 0-5.

In 2002, Kerry were still the masters of provincial football and Ó Sé guided his county to a sixth Munster title. Kerry later reached a third All-Ireland final under Ó Sé, this time with Armagh providing the opposition. At half-time it looked as if Kerry were on course for the ultimate victory. The Ulstermen lost John McEntee to concussion while Oisin McConville missed a penalty just before the interval. With a four-point lead and playing into the wind Kerry were set. McConville, however, scored a decisive goal in the fifty-fifth minute which stunned Kerry. Ó Sé's side failed to score for the last seventeen minutes as Armagh went on to claim their first All-Ireland title with a 1-12 to 0-14 victory.

2003 saw Ó Sé's tenure as manager dogged by controversy. In January of that year he gave a controversial interview to the Irish Independent in which he described the Kerry supporters as "the roughest type of fucking animals you could ever deal with". Ó Sé was forced to issue an embarrassing apology; however, he still guided his team to a seventh Munster title in eight years. Kerry, however, were later trounced by eventual champions Tyrone in the All-Ireland semi-final. Ó Sé later described the result as a "disastrous defeat". He was fired as manager. Speaking from his second home in Marbella, Ó Sé said: "I have to put it on record that I was extremely disappointed in the manner it [his sacking] was done."


Have You Found What You Are Looking For?