River Feale Flowing Past Duagh
DUAGH is a small village on the river Feale, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Listowel; on the Abbeyfeale road, containing about 3750 inhabitants, of which number approximately 210 are in the village. It extends to the confines of the county of Limerick, a large portion of which consists of coarse mountain pasture and bog.
Duagh is a dormitory village for Listowel and Abbeyfeale and a local service centre for the rural hinterland. There are two shops, three public houses, two housing estates, a hardware store and petrol station/shop which are located on the village’s only street at the centre of the village.
Social facilities include a church and heritage/community hall and a good GAA Club located at the centre of the village. The local primary school is also located in the village centre.
Duagh gets its name form the crossing on the River Feale - Dubh Ath na Féile - and its name suggests a place of pre-Christian worship. Two rivers beautify the landscape that is intensively farmed along the banks of the Feale, and is now heavily forested on the banks of the Smerla. Many of the population are now employed in industrial and service industries in local towns.
Duagh parish was established before 1300, long before the present diocese of Kerry was established in 1824. It has made its way into the history books on numerous occasions. An Ogham stone found in 1935 and now in the National Museum is proof of habitation in the earlier times, as is a small bronze spear head from the Middle Bronze Age found in a bog at Knocknacaheragh.
The first church in Duagh was built near the old village, which was situated near the graveyard - a few ruins of this church still remain in the old graveyard. In 1806 Fr. O' Flaherty built a thatched church at the present site of the village, about half a mile up from the old village David Moriarty blessed the present Church of St. Bngid in 1856.
The village is home to Duagh GAA club which owns 5 acres (20,000 m2) of a playing field. They are a fairly successful GAA team. Duagh's first county championship came in 2002 when they won the Kerry Novice Football Championship.
They came very close to winning the All Ireland Junior club finalists in 2007. They won the Munster junior club champions in 2007, the Kerry junior club champions in 2006 and they were the North Kerry League Champions in 2007. On January 6 2013, Duagh won the 2012 North Kerry Championship beating Beale in Listowel in a replay. This was the first time since 1962 that Duagh won the North Kerry Final.
There is a famous song called “The Boys of Sweet Duagh” by Thade Gowran which you will find here.