Finuge, in Irish Fionnuig which is a local corruption for Fionnóg, which signifies Préachán (a crow). 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Listowel, on the banks of the river Feale, and on the road from Listowel to Tralee.
Finuge is a traditional Irish crossroads village with a shop, a pub, Teach Siamsa and a G.A.A. pitch. Sheehan's Thatched House located at Finuge Cross is regarded as one of the oldest surviving authentic thatched houses in Ireland. Conservation experts estimate it at least 300 years old.
Around 1660, Finuge village was situated near the bank of the River Feale. The land here was of excellent quality, so much so that the families were evicted and pushed south-east and re-located beside the "new road" that links Listowel and Lixnaw today. About the time of the "Fenian Rising", Lord Listowel decided that he wanted this land and his agent Major Holmes planned to shift the whole village and evict the locals further south-east to the northwest of the town land of Irremore.
The house plots were marked out and the eviction about to take place, when the Agent Holmes died unexpectedly and the village as we know it today was saved.
There were three churches in Finuge at one time. In 1825 a new church was built at Irremore, it was renovated in 1961 and serves the people to the present day. The big house in the district was "Ennismore House", it became the property of the Desmond Geraldines as a result of the Cromwellian Plantation.
In later times George Hewson inherited it from the last of the Fitzgeralds. "Finuge House", the ruins of which can be seen beside Finuge Bridge was owned by another Hewson family, not related to George. This family were always associated with "Harvest Home", an annual celebration at the end the harvest. The last record of such a gathering was Oct. 25th 1877, when sixty men and women sat down to dinner.
Ringforts were features of the parish, with excellent examples on the farms of Quinlans and McElligotts of Coolnaleen, Galvin's and Whelan's of Finuge, but sad to relate these no longer exist. In olden times, Finuge was not just a townland; it was a parish that stretched from Dysert to Ballinruddery.
There were several townlands in the parish of Finuge including Bealkilla, Kilcrean, Knockamoohane and Ballinruddery, Garryantanavalla, Ballygrennan, Moyassa, Knockanassig, Grogeen. There are no remains of a church today, but there is a large burial ground.
Finuge has an active GAA club. They currently compete in the Kerry Intermediate Football Championship. They also form part of the Feale Rangers divisional team that play in the Kerry Senior Football Championship.
Many of the players also play hurling with Lixnaw in the Kerry Senior Hurling Championship. Being a very small club they have a proud history of supplying players to the Kerry Senior team and the Club has a total of 14 Senior All-Ireland Football medals.
Sean McCarthy, a Finuge native, was a famous Irish folk song writer. Paul Galvin is a famous Gaelic footballer with the Finuge club, Feale Rangers divisional side and Kerry county team.
Another great reason to stop off in Finuge is to see the famous Thatched House; apparently it is about 300 years old!!
Do you know who you are? Does your great, great grandfather come from Finuge or nearby?